Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Hitting the Ground Running


So we’re into our 2nd week of rehearsals – well full cast rehearsals. Our leads had already been hard at work learning the crazy score with Michael for two weeks with awesome results.

For me the first week was a bit of a trial by fire. I had 3 big numbers in the first act to choreograph and they were all scheduled for the first week. Insanity! But good insanity. It’s been a long time since I’ve choreographed and at first I panicked thinking “oh God, how will I make all these people move around the stage and make it make sense and how will they remember everything when they’re trying to sing this crazy Sondheim score at the same time?!!!!"

Apparently, I worried for nothing. We have an ensemble full of folks who are talented and eager and focused. We whipped through those first three numbers and when we had some review time they got up and just did the numbers they had learned during the week. Usually when you start to make folks move while they sing it goes a little bit to hell in a handbasket. But not these kids. There was very little that had to be fixed. I swear, I’m not having a dream sequence, they really nailed it.

On top of their ridiculous ability to retain information they have a great give and take. I really believe that it's important for everyone on stage to have a motivation, to be engaged and in the moment. There is nothing worse than watching a show where the ensemble is the equivalent of singing scenery. Dead eyes. Pasted smiles. This group loves to play and aren’t afraid to try things. You give them an idea and they totally take it and make it their own. They are building their own stories within the scenes. Not a single wooden flat among them. Who could ask for more. Not me!

I’m grateful that I have this opportunity to try something new. I am learning a lot and am feeling more than a little blessed by the team of folks I have to work with.

On to the next number! Wheeeeeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment